Mexican Pork Salad
with Roasted Sweet Potato Planks
Serves 2 - 4
This recipe may seem long and complicated, but if you take
it a step at a time on a lazy Sunday afternoon, you'll have a savory salad for Sunday
supper that marries cinnamon-flavored pork with roasted sweet potato planks
dipped in a spicy, garlicky mayonnaise and salad greens dressed with a toasted
cumin vinaigrette. Serve with a medium-bodied red wine, such as a cabernet franc.
1 double cut pork chop or other small cut of pork
10 whole cloves
1 small white onion coarsely chopped
2 sticks cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
3 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- Put the pork and all the seasonings into a medium
- Add enough cold water to cover the pork.
- Slowly bring to a simmer.
- Cook, covered, at a slow simmer for about 3 hours,
until the pork is very tender and almost falling apart.
- Keep the pork in the cooking liquid and let it cool
until you can shred it with your fingers into long slivers along the grain of
- Sprinkle a few TBS of the cooking liquid over the
shredded pork to keep it moist and set aside.
Roasted Sweet Potato Planks with Garlic
- Peel one sweet potato.
- If it is very long, cut it in half.
- Slice each half into 6 thin planks.
- Brush each plank with olive oil, sprinkle with sea
- Broil in the oven on a baking sheet (about 3 minutes
per side). Turn once.
- The potatoes are done when the flesh is tender and you
see dark spots on the surface.
While the potatoes are cooking prepare the garlic
- Put 3 - 4 TBS mayonnaise into a shallow bowl. Add
juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1 large clove garlic put through the garlic press.
Stir in 1/2 tsp chili powder (or to taste) or sauce from Embassa brand
Chipotles in Adobo sauce. The mayonnaise should be garlicky and spicy to
offset the sweetness in the sweet potato.
- Wash one small head of frisee lettuce.
- Toast 1/2 tsp. of cumin seeds in a shallow fry
pan and grind to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle.
- In a small jar, make the vinaigrette. First mix the
vinegar, mustard and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved. Then add the
olive oil and shake well until the oil is emulsified.
1 TBS sherry vinegar
1/4 tsp Dijon
3 TBS olive
- Coat the frisee with the dressing and divide it
between two individual shallow bowls (like a bouillabaisse bowl).
- Arrange the shredded pork on top of the frisee.
- Place the potato planks around the edge (like
- Serve the garlic mayonnaise in a separate bowl for
dipping the potato planks.